Thursday, October 2, 2014

Working the Program

Every so often an addict will say they're "working their own program."

Now I'm not exactly sure what this means. But, based on the addict's behavior, I suspect it means he's doing things his way. Perhaps still running on self-will.

The wonderful thing about the 12-step programs is that they're a tried and true way for us to change. To learn to live with this deadly disease that's taken so many of our friends and loved ones.

When I was out there "working my own program" things never went well.  Prisons. Divorces. Bankruptcy. Homelessness. Health issues. The list is longer, but you get the picture.

When I was finally cornered like a rat with no where to go, I surrendered. I followed the 12-step program the way the Founders laid it out.

Did I like it? Of course not. I never liked anyone else's plan. But I saw the successes in the rooms. What they said made sense. I shoplifted their ideas and used them in my life.

And, you know, the Promises started coming true before I even knew what they were.

After six months I realized that for the first time I was enjoying freedom and happiness. I no longer was looking over my shoulder. The cloud of demoralization had left me. Even though I had nothing material, I had a rich sense of joy at being alive.

The best decision I ever made was to start working the program. Because mine never worked.

Click here to email John