Sunday, November 30, 2014

Being Cynical?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm cynical. Or if I just don't have the spirit of Christmas?

This comes up because I saw coverage of Black Friday. There was a story of a woman who had pitched her tent outside a Best Buy store. She was there a week early to be sure she was first in line. Huh?

There were stories from Eastern states about those who spent the night in mall parking lots in their cars. They didn't want to freeze while they waited for the doors to open.  Really?

I tried to imagine if there was anything in a shopping mall so wonderful that I'd wait outside a store for even 15 minutes. I couldn't think of a thing.

Although I've never been a shopper I understand wanting stuff. Many years ago I thought the next new car or gadget would be it. But the novelty quickly wore off and it was on to the next thing. But nothing brought long-term fulfillment.

So maybe recovery has changed my thinking. Because for the past 23 years it's been more about learning to live in peace and tranquility. About having gratitude and helping others.

I believe in having the necessities, the basics and even a few luxuries. 

But I see no intrinsic value in joining the consumer rat race to chase the next wonderful thing. Especially if I have to wait in line...

Click here to email John