Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day of Gratitude

Yesterday was a day of gratitude.

Because December 3rd is my wife's birthday. Plus it was the third anniversary of our marriage.

Her birthday is always reason for celebration. Our anniversary is another. Because our anniversary reminds me of the fortunate turn life took when we met.

When she walked into my office in 2004 to apply for a job she charmed me with her beauty and intelligence. And we hired her to work on a part-time basis as a counselor.

Because she was in a marriage she kept her distance from me. And I respected that.

What impressed me most as I got to know her was the way she treated her elderly grandmother. Every day she spent time on the phone with her. She never missed.

I find it attractive when someone treats their elders and others with love and compassion. It says a lot about who they are on the inside.

Eventually she moved on from working with us and we only talked every few months, if that. A few years later we ran into each other at a restaurant. And that's when I found out she'd filed for divorce a year earlier.

We've been together ever since. For that I'm grateful...