Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Positive Experience

I'm grateful today because my new grandson, Wyatt, is leaving Banner Thunderbird hospital where he was born three weeks ago.

Because he was premature, he spent his first three weeks in the neonatal unit.

I'm grateful for several reasons. First of all because both he and my daughter are well.

And beyond that I'm grateful for technology that allows premature babies to survive. Maybe 50 years ago he wouldn't have had a chance.

When I first visited there was a dazzling array of electronic monitors tracking his moment to moment progress.  Wires and tubes were everywhere.

The nurses caring for him had been there for years and were kind and loving.

In an era where much of the news about our medical system is negative, this was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

With a joyful ending.