Monday, January 5, 2015

Helping Panhandlers

I read an irritating story in yesterday's paper. I was about panhandlers who ask for money at intersections and freeway entrances.

The writer tried to disguise the story as an impartial examination of the issue. But the tone was more about it being a bad idea.

One quote grated my nerves. That came from someone who suggested panhandlers might buy drugs or alcohol with the money. Duh. Of course they might. In fact that's likely what most of them do.

One city official thought motorists shouldn't give money. Instead they should donate to a charity that helps addicts. Or give them a food voucher. Yeah, right.

My take on this is that we should always offer money when people ask. No matter what it's for. Alcohol. Drugs. Food. Diapers. Whatever. It's not my business what they do with the money. It's between them and God.

My sponsor told me long ago that it's okay to give money for alcohol. He said they might get done drinking that much faster. And get to the point where they'd seek help.

If someone's life is so bad that they stand on a street corner with a sign I don't care why they need money. I'm going to help them