Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Miracle

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as if nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

To all of us - addicts and non-addicts – Einstein offers the wonderful option of looking at the world with fresh eyes.

If I look at the world as if everything's a miracle then I see beauty everywhere. The flowers springing to life in the morning sun. The technology in my car is a tribute to man's ingenuity and cooperation. The roads I drive on are a symbol of community effort. The 12-step programs are a lifesaving template handed to us from previous generations.

My fellow humans are God's handiwork rather than competitors or irritants.

And if I look at the world as if nothing were a miracle then life goes from bright colors to black and white and gray. I'm living a mechanical existence that has no flavor or meaning. Almost depressing.

I choose to live as if everything is a miracle.