Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Today's Important

"What you do today is important, because you are exchanging a day of your life for it." Unknown

In my addiction I spent years drifting. I was a predator. And my goal was to find money for my next drink or bag of dope. I exchanged many days finding chemical gratification.

Today I choose to fill my days with positives - things to enhance my life. Work. Recovery. Daily exercise. Meditation. Reading. Writing. Eating well. Helping others. Being a contributor.

If we start our day with the idea that our time is important that changes what we do.

If we have the idea that God is at the other end of a time machine loading us up with days and minutes, we're wrong. The clock started ticking when we sucked in our first breath. In other words, we're pre-programmed to be here a certain time.

We have the option of pissing off those minutes doing all kinds of useless crap. Getting drunk. Doing dope. Loafing. Being a bum.

Or we can use them to make ourselves and the world a better place.

For me the last option is the most rewarding.

Click here to email John