Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Trusting God

I've always had a strong belief in God.

Yet many coming into recovery find trusting God to be a strange idea. At meetings they may say they have "trouble" with the higher power thing.

Even though they created their own misery, they find it difficult to trust anyone - let alone a Higher Power.

But I think finding a power greater than ourselves is vital if we're to grow in the program.

But how do we do this?

There are many ways. We can look around and see the hand of God in our survival. We made it into recovery. And that's a miracle because most of us were saved in spite of our best efforts to kill ourselves.

We can look back at a time when our ego told us that we were God - and at the piss-poor job we did of running things.

I was one of those. And I was so incompetent at running the universe that I ended up addicted. In prison. In a mental hospital. Divorced. Bankrupt. The list goes on.

Then I surrendered 24 years ago and gave God his job back. And life got better right away.

Even before recovery found me, I believed in God. But I took exception to the way he (she) did things. It wasn't on my schedule. What showed up wasn't good enough. I wanted it my way and wanted it now.

Today, trusting God is not an issue. While at times I still wonder why things aren't on my time-table, I take a deep breath and flow with whatever's going on.

And what shows up is exactly what I need.