Saturday, February 21, 2015

Burglarized

Early yesterday I get a text from one of our managers about a burglary that occurred during the night.

Someone had broken into our Glendale office. And a small safe with about $200 was missing. Also, the door frame had a few hundred dollars worth of damage.

Of course the suspect list is hundreds of names long. Anyone who's been a resident in the past year could be on the list. It had to have been a former client - or manager - who knew the office layout.

The police came. But this is such a small matter in the scheme of things that they'll likely file it and forget about it. That's understandable.

Later I was thinking about what's going on with the burglar.

What kind of life is he living? He's certainly desperate if he risks his freedom for such a small take.

Probably his only priority is feeding a drug habit. Finding something to keep him from being sick until he can score again. Until his luck eventually runs out. And it will.

After the text message I began my day with gratitude that I no longer have to do desperate things to support a habit.

I hope this man gets to recovery before his luck runs out.

Click here to email John