Friday, February 20, 2015

Hurting Loved Ones

A mother calls to tell me her son left prison that morning and is on his way to TLC.

She wondered if I could encourage him to stay sober. She was fearful that he might start drinking again.

I didn't feel good about telling her I couldn't meet him because we have some 700 clients. That makes it impossible for me to meet with more than a small percentage of them.

She seemed okay after I told her we have staff to help him. All in recovery. Plus they have years of experience helping newcomers.

Her call reminded me of the misery we addicts and alcoholics bring to our loved ones.

I often wish I could record my conversations with parents. It might help clients get sober if they could hear the pain they caused their loved ones.

When I hear these parents I'm reminded of how my own family suffered because of my addiction. Yet they too stood by me for years.

Click here to email John