Thursday, February 26, 2015

Through the Fire

"There are some things you can't learn from others. You have to pass through the fire."  Norman Vincent Peale

I like the quote above. Because when I was young a lot of people tried to give me direction. They told me I should change my ways, else I'd end up in prison. Or worse.

Oh, I heard them. But my rebellious nature didn't let me use the information.

It was all good advice. Go to school. Join the military. Learn a trade. Do something.

But by the time I was in my teens, the years I'd spent with an alcoholic father had me traumatized. I was too pissed off to listen to anyone about anything.

Instead I covered my pain with drugs and alcohol to the extent that I was only out of jail 17 months between ages 16 to 26. And then I added several more years before I got sober.

As in the quote above, I had to "pass through the fire."

In dealing with our clients now I warn them of the slippery slope they're on. Those who've had enough pain pay attention.

But the ones who haven't suffered enough may have to learn painful lessons.  As did many of us.

Click here to email John