Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Up in Smoke

Just when I think I’ve heard it all a woman calls with a request I hadn’t heard before.

She told me she'd been looking all over the country for a halfway house. She said that none would take her because of her prescription medications.

I told her that we'd take her - as long as the prescriptions weren't for opiates or benzos. But I spoke too soon.

Because the next thing she said was that she wasn't taking any of those. The prescription she was having a problem with was for medical marijuana.

That was a new one for me. So I patiently explained that because people are with us to get sober, pot smoking is unacceptable.

She said it helped with her various ailments. And I told her that I was sure it worked. But that our other clients might want to smoke along with her.

She finally asked for referrals to a halfway house that might help. I couldn't think of any.

I did suggest she look in Colorado or Washington, where attitudes toward marijuana might be different.