Thursday, March 12, 2015

Doing Maintenance

Yesterday I was out of the loop all day because of a medical screening. A screening I never look forward to.  But one those of us over 50 should get every so many years.

It's my sixth one in 24 years sober.

And I hate it because it requires a day of preparation with laxatives. A day when I can't eat solid food. Only water, juice, jello or clear broth.  No fun.

The procedure itself isn't painful because I'm asleep. One moment I'm talking to the medical team while they're preparing. Then what seems like a second later we're having a different conversation in the recovery room.  Nice.

I share this because I'm grateful to be able to care for myself. When I got into recovery I decided to be healthy in all ways.  And part of that is following through with checkups and screenings as the doctors recommend.

Also, I eat well, exercise, keep my weight and stress down. But a sad thing about many in recovery is that they're disconnected when it comes to health.

It seems like their agreement with the universe is that they'll take care of everything from the neck up, the cosmetic stuff. And they'll let the doctor take care of everything from the neck down.

But my belief is that our body is the temple of our spirit. And if we don't take care of it we might not be around to enjoy our sober years.

Click here to email John