Thursday, May 7, 2015

Half Measures?

In the 12-step literature is the phrase "half measures availed us nothing..."

I was reminded of this today because we have residents who want it both ways. They want to live in a recovery program, but still get high. Some want to be healthy, but still eat poorly and not exercise. They want to smoke, but they want to quit at the same time. They want to change how they feel - and do it right now - the lazy way - with substances.

And it's hard for me to be nice when lives are on the line. I don't say that for dramatic effect. We've buried hundreds of addicts over the years. So when I say lives are on the line, I speak truth.

Many of those who died I knew well. None believed that drugs, alcohol, or poor lifestyle choices would take them out.

I've had men tell me they don't want to die with a needle in their arm. Yet a few months later they're dead. I've had others tell me they'll never drink again - yet they die of alcohol poisoning in an empty lot. It makes me angry when addicts make a half-assed effort to change.

If we want a good life we must fight for it. We work for it. We listen to others. We learn to accept a little emotional pain. We deal with fear and anxiety.

And we don't do anything halfway.

Click here to email John