Thursday, May 14, 2015

Here & Now

Have you ever wanted something with all your being? Wanted it so badly that you dreamed about it? Tasted it? Wanted it so badly that it took over your whole being?

I'm sure you have. Most of us have. I have.

In my life it was many things. As a kid, a certain bicycle. Or later on, if my business was bigger I'd be happy. Or maybe a Porsche or BMW would do it. A certain amount of money would do it.  It was always something.

But when I got those things the novelty wore off before long. Then it was on to the next great acquisition. My head was off in the future, savoring, planning, anticipating.

Only when I was in recovery for a time did I start living here and now. Being in the moment - for better or worse.

Today I mostly stay in the moment. I can get things done because I'm dealing with now. Whether it's comfortable or not.

I know there might be wonderful things ahead. But today I'm waiting until they get here. If I don't I'm going to miss this moment, this slice of life that God has given us.

Now I awake in the morning and I'm grounded in the day. I have the realization that there's no moment better than this one - so I'm going to savor and relish it.

Click here to email John