Thursday, May 21, 2015

Minutes of our Lives

"We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives."  Maya Angelou

Many clients come to me upset. And they describe that upset as being "stressed."

The being "stressed" is usually about the future. And it's always in their head. They're building narratives about what might be. What could happen down the the road. They never describe what they're feeling as something taking place this moment.

"I don't know if I'll have a job when I get back home."

"Where will I live?"

"I have a lot of bills."

"My family might not accept me." The list goes on.

The fears are often an unknown tangle of emotions they can't describe. And it seems to have a life of its own.

But when I ask them to take a few breaths and come back to right now, things change. Once they start breathing in this moment they begin to loosen up and relax.

When we live in the present - and stop rehearsing for a play that hasn't happened yet - we can enjoy these minutes of our lives.  And these are the only minutes we can count on.

Click here to email John