Friday, May 1, 2015

No Power

One of my bigger jobs as CEO is to keep the peace.

At least once a week staff members get into it about something. And usually it's trivial. Nothing earth-shaking. I can't remember disagreements between employees ever being about anything substantial.

Maybe it was the way something was said. Perhaps it was a sideways look. It could have been a misperception. Sometimes it's about turf.

And how to deal with these dustups? Usually I suggest that we have no power. We're powerless over everyone. Co-workers. Friends. Husbands. Wives. All are volunteers. They're in our lives by their own choice.

We also have no power over those who work for us. Those we pay to be on the job 40 hours a week. They're also volunteers in the sense that they could be working elsewhere.

To be free we must realize that the only power we have - if we're lucky - is over ourselves.

Once we recognize that, then we have this wonderful sense of freedom. We no longer have the responsibility of managing the universe. It's a big load off my life when I practice this.

When I look at others as being volunteers then I'm grateful for their presence. And being thankful that I don't have to manage them.

That gives me a lot of free time to enjoy life and work on myself.

Click here to email John