Friday, June 5, 2015

Carrying the Message - Not the Mess

Dealing with addicts requires emotional resilience. Because it's a rare day that doesn't contain drama.

One client may be intimidating another. One may stealing from the others. Or using illegal drugs. Maybe trying to get into a relationship with another client. A client who's been doing well may test positive. The drama comes in all forms.

And I stay resilient by not attaching myself emotionally to a certain outcome. To not have expectations about what a particular client will do.

Instead I have attachment and emotion about our mission. I believe with all my heart in what we do. After working with addicts for nearly 25 years I have learned that I'm only another messenger. And that some will get the message while others will not.

An old-timer told me a long time ago that I should "carry the message - not the mess."

And doing what he told me has kept me mostly sane.

Click here to email John