Monday, June 1, 2015

Half Measures

The recovery literature states that "half measures availed us nothing." But what does this mean?

To me this means that we should make a commitment. I must say that I'm ready for recovery. And that I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it.

Too often we addicts seem surprised that recovery can be hard work.

When I don't feel like going to work in the morning I can't fix or take a pill to get myself going. I have to suck it up and make it without chemical help.

When I'm in a bad mood or angry, I need to talk to my sponsor or go to a meeting. No artificial or chemical help in recovery.

For years my life was a chemistry experiment. I always looked for the right combination so I could feel just right. And it was a balancing act to get the right amount of chemicals and alcohol so I could get to that sweet spot. But I never did; instead I kept getting in trouble.

In recovery I learned it's okay to feel bad at times. Sometimes my back may hurt. My mood may be off. People may not be doing what I want.

Life is up. Sometimes it's down. And I can handle whatever it is as long as I stay sober and clean.

Click here to email John