Friday, July 31, 2015

Blaming Others

Up until we addicts get sober we mostly blame our drug and alcohol use on something - or somebody - else.

The stories vary. My parents brutalized me as a child. I was raised in the hood. Or my parents taught me to use drugs. I never had opportunities. Everyone hates me. I was spoiled and never had to be responsible. Write your own narrative; I know you have one.

Yet many of us had good reasons to cover up our pain. Some of us suffered terrible trauma as children and teenagers.

But if we're to salvage anything of our lives we must focus on recovery. We need to forget the past. It may be true that horrible things happened. But are we going to waste our lives getting high and knowing that we're justified in doing so? Will we remain prisoners of our trauma?

To be truly free we must accept responsibility for our addiction right now. Where the addiction came from is not that important.

Living with freedom in the light of the spirit - that's what's important.

Click here to email John