Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Feeling Good

My goal for most of my life has been to feel as good as possible.

To achieve that goal during my using years I ingested various substances to achieve a state of bliss. Heroin. Alcohol. Cocaine. Whatever would do the job.

The substances I like best are illegal and costly. As a result, supporting my habits took a lot of resources I didn't have. And I kept having to break the law to take care of my habit.

Now that I've been clean going on 25 years I still have the same goal: I want to feel as good as possible. To achieve that now, I live a certain lifestyle.

Having loving people around me. No smoking. Don't eat processed food. Exercise an hour a day. Meditate. Don't hurry. Do meaningful work. I've integrated all these things into my life over the years - and they work.

But still, are we going to feel good all the time? Of course not. And that's another part of the equation. It's to accept that sometimes - in spite of our best efforts - we're going to be off center. We might have setbacks, pain, minor depression, family squabbles, whatever. But recognizing this as a part of life helps us weather these times and stay clean and sober.