Thursday, July 16, 2015

Great Staff

Twenty-three years ago when TLC first opened I did every job. I did the transportation. Accounting. Buying groceries. Cooking. Finding new residents. Running groups. Property maintenance. All of it.

And it went on this way for several months. Up until the population was about 20. By then I needed help.

I not only was spending 8 hours a day at an outside job, I also was spending another six to seven hours working at the program. I almost fell asleep a couple of times while driving..

And that's when I asked for help. I began by enlisting the clients in the program. I found someone to cook. Someone else to drive. Another person to buy groceries. I recruited help with maintenance.

As the program expanded we found that it took about one person for every 10 clients for things to operate smoothly. And that ratio has increased with the opening of the outpatient clinic. Because that program alone has 18 employees and support staff.

I bring all of this up because I'm grateful to this staff. Because that means that several times a year my wife and I can take a week or two off and decompress.

And we don't have to worry about TLC while we're away because we have good people supporting us.  That's a wonderful feeling.