Friday, July 10, 2015

Just need a Job

A myth among our residents is that all they need is a job. Then everything well be okay. Their world will be back together. The planets will realign themselves. It's a theme song in our groups and counseling sessions.

"I just need to get back to work."

And when I respond with my stock answer, they look at me like I've relapsed. And my answer is always the same: "Jobs are not your problem."

Because if all they needed was a job, why did they start using in the first place?

After all, everyone in our program has worked at one time or the other. Yet they ended up in jail, homeless, or in a recovery program due to drinking and drugging.

My point is that addicts like me - and most of those in our program - must make recovery their priority. Then good things will begin to happen.

Over and over I've seen clients put work before everything. They can't make meetings because of their work schedule. Or they're too tired. Then next thing you know they're back in the spoon or the bottle.

I'm not anti-work. And unless we're rich kids, we must work to live. No one will support us. But, if we put work before our recovery then we'll soon be back where we started - or worse.

When our clients stay clean and sober - and spiritually centered - the universe blesses them.

Click here to email John