Friday, July 17, 2015

Recommitment

Wednesday around dusk I watched as my oldest daughter and her husband made a recommitment to their 20 year marriage.

It took place on the beach as the sun set over the ocean.

Some 14 family members and close friends were there.

It was emotional for me because I wasn't there when she got married. Nor was I present for much of her upbringing.

By the grace of God she never followed in my footsteps. Even though she was raised by her mother in a drug environment she made a decision to live a different kind of life. And she did.

After a troubled and short marriage to an addict she got divorced. A while after that she met a pastor at her church. They dated for a while, then eventually married.

Today they're both pastors and have a church in Irvine, California.

And she recently opened her own aesthetician business in Orange, California.

The nice thing is that she's forgiven me for not being there much during her childhood.

For the past 18 years we've been able to share famlly vacations in the summer and between Christmas and New Year's.

Recovery has its benefits. And reuniting with family is a big one.