Saturday, August 22, 2015

From the Past

An addict I've known for years made a surprise visit to my office yesterday. It had been 15 years since I last saw him.

And the reason I hadn't seen him in is that he's been in prison. He didn't do all that time at once; it was mostly on the installment plan.

Once in a while his family would send a message that he was home. Then a few weeks later I'd hear that he'd been re-arrested. He was never out long enough to pay a me visit.

His habit was to be out for a few days, borrow someone's car, then take it to the crack house. And, of course he'd end up with a new charge.

During his visit I realized that mentally and emotionally he was still where he was when I last saw him. His conversation was the same. He had the same plans and ideas. The world he'd been away from had passed him by.

His visit was a reminder of where my life might of been had God not intervened and blessed me with recovery.