Monday, September 21, 2015

A new Life

If you had asked me about this man's chances several years ago I wouldn't have predicted much of a future for him.

He'd been in and out of detoxes for over 30 years. Once in a while he'd end up homeless. Or in jail. Even though he's a skilled worker, his jobs would never last more than a year or two because of his drinking. He spent a few years with us before moving on.

When I heard from him on his sobriety anniversary last week he brought me up to speed on his life.

He now has an apartment, a car, and a new driver's license. He's been working for the same company since he left TLC a few years ago. He has an ongoing relationship with his adult children. He's getting to know his grandchildren. He still attends meetings and has a sponsor. He's saving money.

He has offers to work for larger companies that want someone with his skills. Jobs that pay better. But, he's taking it slow because he realizes his recovery comes before everything else.

Twenty four years ago I used to predict who'd make and who wouldn't. But because of successes like this guy I gave that up a long time ago.

Click here to email John