Friday, September 25, 2015

Being Critical

Sometimes I find myself in the role of the critic.

Especially when our clients relapse into using or start showing addictive behavior.

But one way I get over it is to recall what I was like at the same age. At the age of most of our clients I was a guest of some government agency. And being punished for my drug use. That was in the era when small drug infractions resulted in serious time.

So even though I get frustrated I can turn myself around quickly today. Instead of being critical I have to admire them for even attempting to get clean. Regardless of how little effort they might be putting into it at this moment.  Because at their age I made no effort at all.

When I look at it this way I realize the each day they stick around they learn a little more. They get more information about how their addiction seduces them and how they can fight back.

And if they do relapse there's a lesson in it. Many of those who leave eventually come back somewhat chastised by their experience. And when they return with this new attitude they seem to have a better chance.

Experience has been one of the best teachers I've ever had. I learned a great deal from my pain. Enough that I made a decision to change.

So instead of being critical I hope that clients who relapse gain something from the experience.