Thursday, October 8, 2015

Multitasking?

A few of my recovering friends practice multitasking.  And sometimes I have to ask them to slow down. Their minds race a mile a minute. They'll have two or three projects going at once.

And I'm not sure why. Maybe it's about making up for all the time they lost while using. I once-in-a-while have to ask them to breathe because they even talk fast. Sometimes their conversation is one long sentence.

Some believe that doing two or three things simultaneously helps us get ahead. Maybe we'll get a raise. Maybe the boss will think we're motivated. And for sure, we'll get a lot more done.

I don't know any personally, but I've even heard of people who drive and text at the same time. They sometimes make the news.

But neuroscience reports the opposite of the practice.  They say multitasking doesn't work. The brain operates most efficiently doing one task at a time.

Click here if you'd like to see proof of why it doesn't work.

And maybe you'll be able to slow down and savor life a bit more.