Saturday, October 17, 2015

My Bad

Today I feel dumb because I relied on a TMZToday report that an NBA star had died of a drug overdose in Las Vegas. And I mentioned it in Thursday's posting.

The most reliable reports I read now say that he may survive. That he's responding and so forth. However, doctors are talking about potential brain damage.

While this blog is only my opinion, I should have done more research. Especially when it comes to someone's life. I guess a lot of times I think that if it's on the internet it must be true. If fact, it has to be pretty outrageous before I question the authenticity of a story.

In any event, the only reason I ever mention drug deaths or overdoses is to underscore the dangers of using. Not that we're unaware.

Most of those in our program who survived overdoses seemed surprised that it happened. One minute they were feeling good. The next minute paramedics were working on them.

But for more than one, the overdose was the catalyst that finally brought them to recovery.

What I hope to do in this blog is give addicts enough information to support wise choices. Choices that will allow them to enjoy a life of recovery.

But, once in a while I screw up, for which I'm sorry.

Click here to email John