Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Powerless?

The subject of powerlessness came up at a meeting yesterday.

And I thought it interesting that we alcoholics believe we have any kind of power.

I performed a lot of important tasks while using. I ran the government. The CIA. The economy. A few wars. Fortune 500 companies. Most everything, including the lives of those around me.

But the reality was that I couldn't control my own life. I was so in control that I ended up in jails, prisons, and mental institutions. I lost everything over and over. Jobs. relationships, homes, businesses – all of it.

A major breakthrough in my life was when I admitted I was powerless. A huge weight lifted from my shoulders. All of a sudden I was able to focus on one thing: staying clean and sober.

There was a great sense of relief when I lost the illusion that I had power, that I was in control.

Instead I found gratitude that I was a lucky survivor - one of those made it to the safe haven of recovery.

Click here to email John