Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Starting the Week

Yesterday morning a client shakes my hand as I'm headed into the office

He's smiling proudly as he tells me he has four years of recovery this week.

I'm impressed. Because I recall that when he came to us he was all sucked up. He had a lifetime history of alcoholism and going to detoxes. He had serious dental problems. His drinking had separated him from his children. He had almost lost hope of staying sober

But now things are different.

He works a strong 12 step program, attends meetings, and has a sponsor. He has a steady job working with TLC maintenance.  He has new teeth.

He long-ago rebuilt his relationship with his family, even though it's long distance.

It's a good way to start a Monday morning because he reminds me of what our mission is all about.

And it reads: "We help recovering substance abusers rebuild their lives."