Thursday, December 31, 2015

December 31

So take a look at your calendar. It's the last day of the year. Doesn't it seem like yesterday that we had a brand new 2015 in front of us?

Did you make resolutions a year ago? Maybe to quit smoking? Lose weight? Repair a broken friendship? Go back to school?

And if you did, did you accomplish any of them?

I bring this up because the one commodity we only get so much of is time. We can fritter it away on video games, Facebook, or simply drifting aimlessly. It's the priceless gift we get when we're born. A big package of minutes, days, hours, years. And we can use them however we choose. But once spent they're gone.

So since I'm giving advice, what did I do with my time this past year? For one, I took a 300 hour course in mindfulness training. And in a few weeks I'll have my certification as an instructor. It was work, but now most of it's behind me and I'm already leading meditations.

And in 2016? I'll work with our staff to spread mindfulness training throughout our halfway houses. Next year at this time I'll let you know how we did with that.

My point is that we should use our time to enrich our lives. Improve our minds. Our relationships. Our health. Something. Anything.

Because if we keep doing what we've been doing we'll keep getting what we've been getting. And I hope you all have been getting something good out of your days.