Monday, December 28, 2015

Family Traditions

Each year it's a family tradition to go to Las Vegas the day after Christmas.

We've been doing this for about 15 years. When we started a couple of the grandchildren were still in diapers. Now they're seniors in high school.

And at the beginning there were only a half a dozen of us.

At dinner last night there were 17.

It's a blessing to watch the family grow. To see more of them come into the circle. It's an opportunity for us to have a reunion and catch up.

Plus it's an easy way for me to give everyone a gift they'll enjoy. They get a three day trip to Las Vegas and an envelope so they can go shopping or whatever.

Even though members of my family have had issues, none went as far down as I did.

A blessing of my recovery is that I can be an example to my grandchildren. None of them has ever seen me under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

But they know my history. And they know what I do today. That helps them understand there are no obstacles that they can't overcome. No dream they can't achieve.