Sunday, December 20, 2015

Success Rate?

Sometimes I get questions about our success rate. And I must answer honestly. The answer is that I don't know the percentage.

Often I see programs advertise that they have a 60% or 80% success rate. Meaning that they're doing very well. And I'm sure that some people really believe them. But I don't.

The reality is that no one can honestly say what their success rate is. And that's because there's no way to know what former clients are doing at this very moment.

Unless you give someone a daily urinalysis or have a sensor strapped to their ankle there's no way of knowing. And anyone who says otherwise is being dishonest.

They may believe that they're doing that well - but it's probably wishful thinking.

I bring this up today because I got a message from a graduate who had been in our program two or three times. He stays in touch with me via email and tells me about his progress. What's his success rate? I think it's 100% because he reports doing the things that clean and sober people do.

But based on my beliefs about how our program operates I think we do about as well as any other program. But, there again, that's an opinion based on how I feel.  I have no way of tracking the thousands who have been through TLC.

But it is nice to get messages from those who are doing well. That's what counts for me.