Saturday, January 16, 2016

Celebration

TLC staff surprised me with a luncheon yesterday for my 25th anniversary. And I'm grateful for the outpouring of love from the fifty or so guests.

Also, two daughters came from out-of-town.  One from California, the other from Prescott.

One speaker pointed out that sobriety dates are important. Not so much for the one sober. But for the newcomers who see living evidence that recovery does work.

I view 25 years as a milestone in my sober life. But I know it's not a plateau where I can rest and say "I finally did it. Now I'm sober."

No, recovery - like the rest of life is a journey - not a destination where one stops growing.

There's an important lesson from those who are sober for years. And that's that one who has long recovery has navigated some of life's ups-and-downs. And without drinking or using drugs.

In my case, I've lost both parents and my brother. Been divorced and lost half my stuff. Have experienced business and financial setbacks. Have dealt with - and am dealing with - health challenges. Yet none of this has made me throw away my recovery.

I live in - and plan to continue to live in – the promises.

Click here to email John