Saturday, January 2, 2016

Getting Messages

I received a lot of happy New Year's messages yesterday. In fact, it took a little while to answer them all.

25 years ago today no one told me happy new year. No one wished me happy anything. At least, if they did I wasn't aware of it.

And that's because I was in the middle of an alcoholic drug using binge. No one wanted to hear from me – including my family.

I think I only had one phone number. She didn't want to hear from me either.

Major events in our lives can make a huge difference. Birth of a child. Marriage. Going away to the military. Or to college. Those are big events in our lives. Mine wasn't so elevated or noble.

The biggest event of my life was when I got sober.

Everything that's good in my life today stems from the moment I admitted I was an alcoholic. From that day on things have gotten better and better. I'd never have dreamed I'd have the life I do today.

And it wasn't that I had a spiritual awakening that made me get sober. My life had become a miserable mess. My only choice seemed to be recovery - or death.

And you know the choice I made because I'm here to write about it.

Click here to email John