Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Helping Mom

Sometimes I fantasize while writing this blog about being a cool philosophical guy. One that drug addicts come to for advice. How they can stay clean and sober. How to control their anger. I see myself dispensing wisdom, sharing my experience, strength, and hope.

But that rarely happens. Not much. Maybe once in a while.

But what surprises me is the group that does ask for help. Women.

And it's not women who are having husband or boyfriend problems. With my relationship history I wouldn't know what to tell them anyway.

No. The women who ask for help are those who have children hooked on heroin, crack, meth or alcohol. Those are mostly the drugs they write about.

They do use other things. And when I write back I tell them it's not what the kid's using. They're all bad.

The problem usually focuses on the kid misusing the mother. He/she will be sponging off of mom. Using her car. Eating her food. Bumming money.

Then if mom complains, the kid drags out a litany of complaints. The reason he's the way he is because she married a bum like his dad or stepdad. Or they were poor. Or he went to a shitty school. They lived in the wrong neighborhood. The kid drags out anything to make her feel guilty.

And my answer is for mom to throw the kid out. That's right, if he's too unhappy to follow the rules go somewhere where he can live by his own rules.

The only thing I've found that any of these mothers have done wrong is to not throw the kid out sooner. As soon as he/she was 18 she should have sent him packing if he was becoming a problem.

It's amazing how grateful a human being becomes when he/she has to care for themselves.

Click here to email John