Sunday, February 28, 2016

Reason for Gratitude

Sometimes I find gratitude in strange situations. One happened yesterday during my morning "commute."

While I don't always work weekends, I sometimes go to the office on Saturday mornings when it's quiet. It gives me time to review the past week. Clean up details. Maybe plan for what's coming up next week.

Anyway, using the term "commute" is laughable in my case. Since I'm three miles from the office. We're talking maybe ten minutes max. My Tesla's GPS message screen usually says "light traffic, seven minutes to the office," when I leave for work.

But this morning was different. Instead of light traffic there were barricades at the intersections. Beefy cops with day-glo vests and side-arms. And signs announcing some kind of marathon. 

Straggling down the blocked street were a few serious runners. But mostly walkers. People on bicycles. Wheelchairs. Old. Young. Fat. Fit. It seemed like anyone who wanted to participate could join. As long as they moved under their own power.

Being a typical addict I said, "No problem, I'll just go around."

After all, this is my hood and I know all the side streets and short cuts. I might be at the office close to the normal time.

In spite of my determination, no such luck. Everywhere I went there were barricades. The alleys. The side-streets. Everything was blocked on the north side of town.

Finally after 30 minutes of trying to find a short cut I drove to the 202 and 101 then to Broadway on the South side of downtown. Clear sailing all the way. Had I done that at first I might have been to the office in 15 minutes.

As I pulled into my parking spot I was thankful that one thing I don't experience is a long commute. And from now on, when I hear others complain about driving 20-30 miles to work I'll send them compassionate thoughts.

The experience was just a small reminder that there are many things we can be grateful for. Especially for some of the things we don't have to do.