Friday, March 18, 2016

God's Will?

Sometimes I get confused about my will and God's will.  That's because I think I have all these great ideas. Then they don't pan out.
For example, a few years back one of my business partners and I had cooked up a perfect plan.  We would quit buying property and leave the program pretty much the size it is.  Then he'd take off for a few months at a time while I ran things.  Then he'd return and my wife and I would go somewhere for a long vacation.   
But since that time we haven't slowed down at all.  We've purchased four more properties since then.  And we're in the midst of closing on several apartment units before the end of the month.  And I'm sure it will happen because we've been going back and forth with the owners for over a year now.
So what's the story?  Why can't we stick to our plan?  I think there's a few reasons.
One is that people keep showing up who need a program while in recovery.  And then when they graduate they don't want to get too far away.  They like the communal support.
Another reason is that these days it's almost too easy for us to buy stuff.  We have a lot of private parties and banks offering us financing.  It's sort like one of those offers we can't refuse.  It's hard to turn down no money down deals.
But I think on a deeper level it's that there are a lot more addicts than there are places to put them.  And I think us helping solve the problem is God's will - not ours.
That’s the part that maybe someday I’ll get figured out.