Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Graduation

Last night I completed a goal that I set a year ago: I received my certification as a mindfulness teaching instructor. It'll be hanging on my wall tomorrow.

The course took 300 hours - between study and meditation practice. I'm happy that it's over. And what I'm happy about is not that the work is done, but that I was able to complete a goal. To finish something that I set out to do.

Because at one time I was so impatient that I couldn't complete anything. I don't know whether it was from the effects of drugs and alcohol. From childhood trauma. From laziness. Or just the insanity that comes from being a dedicated addict.

And because I'm also obsessive, I'm not stopping here. This week I'm beginning an eight week course in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). I believe it's important that we enhance our skills and continue to develop tools to pass on to others.

And of course, what we give others, we also give ourselves.