Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Graduation

Last night I completed a goal that I set a year ago: I received my certification as a mindfulness teaching instructor. It'll be hanging on my wall tomorrow.

The course took 300 hours - between study and meditation practice. I'm happy that it's over. And what I'm happy about is not that the work is done, but that I was able to complete a goal. To finish something that I set out to do.

Because at one time I was so impatient that I couldn't complete anything. I don't know whether it was from the effects of drugs and alcohol. From childhood trauma. From laziness. Or just the insanity that comes from being a dedicated addict.

And because I'm also obsessive, I'm not stopping here. This week I'm beginning an eight week course in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). I believe it's important that we enhance our skills and continue to develop tools to pass on to others.

And of course, what we give others, we also give ourselves.