Saturday, March 5, 2016

Liking Ourselves

Learning to re-frame our thinking helps us get through some rough spots in our lives.

For example, I had a hypnosis client who told me he didn't like himself. That he was always being self-critical. So during hypnosis I made positive suggestions for him to use.

But I believe if we view ourselves as unlikeable we have some work to do. And it doesn't take hypnosis. And it's an inside job. I know, because I've been there.

As a child in a small town grammar school in Oregon with 40 kids I thought I was an oddball. And, in a way I was different. That's because there were only two of us that wore glasses.

And because of that I was the butt of the usual jokes. And I got them broken a lot because of fights I started over my defensiveness.

But at that point of my life I was too young to even know a concept like re-framing. I just know I felt like a weirdo at the time.  I didn't like myself.

But we can change not liking ourselves. Because we base this on our own self-judgment. I'm not as strong, or smart, or rich, or good-looking as the next guy. Or I didn't have the breaks that others had growing up. The self-criticism list can be long.

But I'll bet if you make list of what you dislike about yourself, I could take that same list and turn it into positives. And that's because we all have unique qualities.

There's something you do as well or better than others. And I guarantee that you have an area of insight or education that others don't. We simply have to look at the whole picture.

We can feel good that we live in this country. Because most of the people in the world live on less than a dollar a day. We see horrible photos of people just like us living in war zones struggling to survive. Through no fault of their own.

I believe if we make a gratitude list or count our blessings we immediately find ourselves likeable.  We can find the beauty of being alive and having the gifts we've be given - and learn to see them as an asset.