Thursday, April 7, 2016

Accepting our Age

While waiting in line at a medical clinic yesterday I heard an older gentleman lamenting about getting old. And he didn't sound too happy about it.

I think he said something like 'It's no fun getting old."

I started to engage him in conversation, but at that moment they called his name and he moved on.

Probably I would have told him something clever like getting old beats the alternative. But, as depressed as he sounded it might have made things worse. After all, I didn't know what was going on in his life. He might have been suffering from a terminal disease. Maybe his wife was ill. Or he could be experiencing money problems. Who knows?

As to his statement about getting older is no fun - I can relate. Because as the years roll by we start to learn about our physical limitations. Most of us in our sixties and seventies always have some kind of doctor's appoint pending; that is if we take care of ourselves. I have an assortment of doctors who care for me. Among them a neurologist, A liver doctor. A cardiologist. A foot doctor. A urologist and a few others. But rather than bitch about having to see them, I'm grateful to have insurance and the ability to pay for my care.

I've found that the secret to most things we seniors face is acceptance. I know that I can't put in the hours I used too when I was in my thirties and forties. I'm not as strong as I once was.  Nor do I have the endurance I did when I was younger.  And I accept that.

On the plus side I no longer feel the insecurities of youth. I finally learned that being in a relationship is a two-way street. I've learned to be grateful for the moments of my life. Because the time God gave us when we were born is the one thing we can't replace. So I'm grateful and try to use it wisely.

Click here to email John