Saturday, April 30, 2016

Finding the Courage

Something I never brag about is having my nose broken five times. It was so damaged that one side was 90% blocked. It seemed natural to me to breathe out one side of my face.

It's probably been 35 years since it was last broken so I finally decided to get it repaired. I got over my bad attitude a long time a go when I realized I didn't have a lot of potential. And because I changed my attitude I didn't think there was much danger of any more damage. Plus my wife thought it would look better.

When I went to the surgeon he kind of shook his head and made some comments about the wreckage of my past. In fact, he wasn't quite sure how he was going to fix it. Or if he could.

Once in surgery he found out he was right. He couldn't straighten it; he had to completely rebuild it.

I'm not even sure why I tell you about this, except I won't have so many explanations around the office to those who haven't heard the story. And wonder why I have two black eyes.

But the other part of it is that if we persevere we can find the courage to change any part of our lives. We can do better in our relationships, our finances, and even elevate our spiritual beliefs.

I, for example, was surprised that I found the courage to let a surgeon straighten my nose.