Saturday, April 9, 2016

The War

Back in the fifties, when I first began using drugs, heroin was the first choice. From where I lived in Southern California it was around a two hour drive to Tijuana. One could buy it and smuggle it across. Or, for a few dollars more the connection would deliver anywhere south of Los Angeles.

Then in the late sixties and through the seventies, meth came into vogue. Where I was living in the Los Angeles Echo Park area meth was the only drug available and really was the only one anyone wanted. But for some reason I never cared for it and ended up returning to heroin - my drug of choice. And I continued to use it until I ended up spending a year in a mental hospital.

And today the tide is turning. After meth flooded the market for so many years, it seems that heroin is becoming popular once more.

And the consequences are terrible. From coast to coast there's an epidemic of heroin overdoses that's killing young addicts by the thousand. And of course in the background we hear politicians singing those silly songs about the war on drugs - a war that has never happened and never will.

Too many people are making too much money to change things now.