Sunday, May 22, 2016

Happy Birthday!

Many things got better when I got clean and sober January 14, 1991.

One of the best is the relationship I now have with my oldest daughter. Because, by all rights, I wouldn't blame her if she had nothing to do with me at all.

During most of her childhood I was sitting in some correctional facility feeling sorry for myself because one more time I was a guest of the state for crimes related to my drug habit.

As for her, she was living with her addict mother and supported by a welfare check.

Yet last month, she invited my wife and me to her 50th birthday party in California. And, of course, we're attending.

Now I know that nothing can make up for the lost years from her childhood. Or the time I should have spent with her as a father. So I'm grateful for the relationship I have with her today.

The most important blessings of sobriety come when our families forgive us and accept us back into their lives.

And in turn the best we can do is continue our lives of recovery and being part of their lives.