Thursday, June 23, 2016

Flashback

In the midst of my morning walk I see a sixtyish man sleeping on a park bench near the beach. His long gray beard reaches almost to the grass beneath the bench. His clothing looks like it hasn't seen a washing machine in over a month. His nearby shopping cart is filled with stuff of no apparent value. Except maybe to him.

I immediately have flashbacks to over 25 years ago. That's when I was almost in the same shape. Sleeping in a stolen car. Stealing each day to get drugs and alcohol. I had no drive or motive for living. I think the thing that changed me was the pain of my existence. I still had enough brain cells left to know I could do better,

The town I lived in Arizona had a detox that cost nothing to get into. And once I left there after a week and a half I found a halfway house that took me in even though I was broke.

From there the blessings started. I lived in the haflway house for a year. And the day I left I opened TLC.

Among the blessings I have today is that I can reunite with 18 family members at Imperial Beach. Each year for the past 15 years we rent condos on the beach and socialize and relax.

I could have made other choices and kept doing what I was doing. But the will to live and do better made me change.

And one of the reasons I go to work every day at 77 is because I know there are others who can have a better life if they want it. And our job at TLC is to help them get there.