Monday, June 6, 2016

Sponsorship

Yesterday I was honored to see the 12th step in action when a man with 42 years' sobriety shared his story at a meeting.

The 12th step says, "Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

This man is a great example of how this step works. He is always available to those who need an explanation of how the steps work. And he's particularly effective because he's able to express himself with a touch of humor and a lot of humility. When anyone needs a sponsor he never turns them down.

I know this because he's been my sponsor for around 20 years. In fact, I first met him when he was the director of the detoxification unit I went into when I first became sober.

Some seven years after I left that unit I asked him to become my sponsor.  And he's been there for me ever since.

I remember on my seventh birthday he told me somethng I've never forgotten. He said "You think this is as good as it gets, but it gets better." At the time I have everything a man could want: job, home, savings, all the blessing from the promises.  I didn't know how life could get better.

But it turns out he was right. Life has gotten better. And it's because I've been able to grow spiritually - to become a better human being.

And it's all due to a sponsor who's been patient and loving with me.