Sunday, July 10, 2016

Client Email

I don't often publish emails from clients.  But this client's message summarizes what we do in our sober living houses.  The writer is an example of what we try to achieve.  He has a valuable message. (Names have been excluded to protect his identity.)

"You know, I didn't think that a different life was possible. If it was possible, I didn't have a clue on where to begin. There are nooks and crannies all throughout life, that were intimidating to say the least. Functioning in society wasn't something I had focused on.

That is until I went to TLC. It took me a few weeks to acclimate, but once my negative blinders started to disappear, suddenly, with gratitude I saw the opportunities in front of me. TLC gave me a healthy platform to learn about life, myself, and methods of dealing with various emotions.

There isn't a day that goes by, that I fail to behave according to what I've learned from TLC. Be it meditation, which has given me the amazing ability to remove myself from that sick narrative within the mind. Not having my behaviors chained to my emotions, I'm able to react with kindness and patience like it's going out of style. Or what about using 'I statements" so that I can avoid the pitfalls of resentments and also become more assertive with being harsh and disrespectful.

The duty of making my bed and keeping my room clean, I fought against. That was followed by accepting that it was a rule, and today it has become second nature. My room being clean and bed being made is something I do today, and finally it isn't because of other people, it's more of a reflection of the self respect and motivation that I've gained through TLC.

The staff at TLC is absolutely wonderful, I cannot tell you how many times they would point me in the direction of gratitude when I was lost in negativity. That now carries."


His email continues but I cut it here to protect his anonymity.  But he does a much better job than I of explaining what we try to accomplish.