Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Growing

January 13, 1992, when I was sober a year, I was living by myself in a broken down house in Mesa, Arizona. I'd bought it - and the two small houses in back of it - for no money down. All I had to pay was the $375 in closing costs.

The floors were rotting. In fact, while standing in front of the toilet, one of my feet went through the floor.

Cockroaches were everywhere - even inside the curtain rods. There was a pile of used tires sitting in the front yard, next to a broken down car. The yard was full of weeds and cactus and dead orange trees.

The roof leaked and the place needed painting. Everything was wrong with it.

Yet I couldn't have been happier. I was living in TLC's first halfway house and I was the first resident. My goal was to have the place livable and ready for occupants by March 15, 1992, a goal we reached.

I bring this up because I realized we've come a long way since 1992. With zero government funding and a lot of hard work we've grown from that one house to over 40 properties.

And I chose this as the subject today because this coming week we're adding a 19 unit apartment complex and a house to our inventory. This will allow us to increase our population to around 900.

900 beds for addicts without resources to work on their sobriety and rebuild their lives.