Saturday, July 30, 2016

Growing

January 13, 1992, when I was sober a year, I was living by myself in a broken down house in Mesa, Arizona. I'd bought it - and the two small houses in back of it - for no money down. All I had to pay was the $375 in closing costs.

The floors were rotting. In fact, while standing in front of the toilet, one of my feet went through the floor.

Cockroaches were everywhere - even inside the curtain rods. There was a pile of used tires sitting in the front yard, next to a broken down car. The yard was full of weeds and cactus and dead orange trees.

The roof leaked and the place needed painting. Everything was wrong with it.

Yet I couldn't have been happier. I was living in TLC's first halfway house and I was the first resident. My goal was to have the place livable and ready for occupants by March 15, 1992, a goal we reached.

I bring this up because I realized we've come a long way since 1992. With zero government funding and a lot of hard work we've grown from that one house to over 40 properties.

And I chose this as the subject today because this coming week we're adding a 19 unit apartment complex and a house to our inventory. This will allow us to increase our population to around 900.

900 beds for addicts without resources to work on their sobriety and rebuild their lives.