Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Power of the Program

This weekend I feel the power of the 12-step programs.

A speaker who has been sober over five years tells of losing a young relative a few weeks ago. Apparently she succumbed from drinking too much alcohol.  Yet he didn't relapse.

As he relates his story, those in the room can sense the intensity and emotion in his voice. We can see it in his eyes.

As he tells his story he relates to having been in detox over 100 times. Yet nothing worked for him until he finally got into the 12-step programs several years ago.  He followed all the suggestions.

Often in the rooms we hear statements from those who have relapsed over and over that "the program didn't work for me."

Yet I believe the program will work for anyone who can read and follow the steps. In fact, I believe that whoever applies the steps has a 100% guarantee of staying sober.

And I say that because in over 70 years I've never seen anyone force alcohol down anyone's throat. Or force a needle into their arm.

Those who say "the program didn't work for me" are those who didn't follow the simple steps that are hanging on the wall of every meeting room. They haven’t had enough pain yet.

The Steps are a blueprint for success. But one must have a strong desire to follow the directions.